Sunday, May 20, 2012

DirecTV and NBA playoff bias

If you've been watching the games, you've seen the commercials. Here's my take ---

No, I don't want to sell my hair to a wig shop after going broke in Vegas. Two reasons. Last time I was in Vegas I came home to find myself divorced. What could be worse than that? Going back to Vegas, only to return home and find myself married again. Now THAT would be scary. Besides, I would no longer have the product to sell, Where I used to have a pony tail growing is now a bald spot. Must have burned it out or something.

I certainly don't want to open my mailbox across the street and watch my house blow up because I screwed a client over and he wound up going to prison. That would definitely qualify as having a bad day, but I'm not a shyster lawyer, so I have no worries there.

I don't play racketball anymore, so I won't get an eyepatch and wind up in a roadside ditch.

All of this is brought to us courtesy of DirecTV, of course. They want us to cancel "cable" and sign up for one of their dishes. Thing is, I've had DirecTV for years, and it beats cable, but if they keep jacking my rates up every few months, I'll have to start selling off other things, besides the hair I don't have anymore, to pay for it.

Oh yeah. I'm supposed to rant about sports. Right.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the media are playing favorites in the NBA playoffs?  In the east, it's all about Miami. The Heat just evened their series 2-2 with the Indy Pacers. According to the media, Lebron and D-Wade had "monster" games. Superhuman efforts. One would have thought they beat the Pacers by 50. They won by 8. Now it's the best 2 out of 3 and we'll see what happens. Yet, it just seems like the media wants Lebron and the Heat to win SO bad. It's as if they're WILLING them to do it.

In the west, it's always about the Lakers and Kobe Bryant. A bazillion sound bytes are offered up as to why they should win. The media WANTS them to win. In their eyes, nothing would be better than an NBA Final matchup between Lebron and Kobe -- the Heat and the Lakers. No doubt the TV people would like to see it work out that way. Higher ratings mean bigger bucks.

Nobody talks about the Indiana Pacers, but those guys are really good. San Antonio always flies under the radar, and they've quietly been a steam-roller for over a month. Oklahoma City is a young team on the rise with a couple superstars -- but they don't get much attention either. Everybody thinks the Boston Celtics are over the hill, but they still "got game". I wouldn't count them out just yet.

The point is -- when it comes to the media -- it shouldn't matter which team has superstars, represents the bigger "market", or will draw the higher Nielsen ratings.

The fans are the people that are supposed to play favorites -- not the media. Their job is to be insightful, but always impartial and objective.

Yeah, it's an election year and the whackos from both sides are out in full force with their propaganda, but sports should be above that.

I think this is where I came in -- but no, I don't want a grandkid with a dog collar either. I'm just fine with my yorkies. The 4-legged variety of little ones are WAY lower maintenance.



















No comments:

Post a Comment