Monday, August 6, 2012

Opening the vault. Olympians and yorkies

Just when I tuned into the Olympics for another night of action, I saw something go across the screen saying the women's pole vault would be featured. Really? I didn't even know the ladies did that, much less it was an Olympic event. This I had to see.

Turns out it was a mistake. The "vault" was the same piece of gymnastic equipment that the ladies have been competing on for a few days now. You know, the thing that looks something like the pommel horse the men use -- but without the handles?

I thought all that stuff was over. After all the ladies went through the various disciplines in the gymnastics competition, the "team" medals had been awarded, as had the individual all-around honors. Everybody's done everything. What else could be left? Oops. They still have to compete yet again in a few individual events, for even more medals. Silly me. I should have known. When it comes to the Olympics, they find a way to hand out more medals than are distributed in your average World War.

At that, the ladies doing the "vault" weren't that impressive. One landed on her belly, another on her butt, and a few others botched their routines in various ways. 

I see better performances than that every day -- right here at home -- live and in person.

It involves two 5-month old yorkie puppies. They'll get a running head start, use a piece of furniture as a springboard, do a few flips and twists in mid-air, and always "stick" their landing. Perfect 10's every time.

On either side of me when I sit down to dinner.

Nope, the lady Olympian vaulters have nothing on those two.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment