Friday, February 8, 2013

Sensitive issues and where I'm coming from

To those that have expressed concern, been offended, or perhaps even outraged by some of the sports related topics I have addressed in the past, I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.

In no way, shape, or form, was it ever my belief or intent to be "anti", much less hateful, towards any particular slice or segment of society. I fully grasp, appreciate, and agree with the concept of all men/women being created equal, despite whatever differences they may have in various ways. However, in this day and age of political correctness, many are fearful of broaching subjects that are deemed to be sensitive. I am not.

To pretend some such things don't exist by conveniently ignoring the subject does not make them any less real. They are indeed real, and while it's easy to write "puff pieces" that "go with the flow", occasionally I take it upon myself to step outside the box and take what I consider to be a totally objective, if politically incorrect view. When doing so, I play no favorites, and "sacred cows" are by necessity brushed aside.

Again, it is never my intention to be discriminatory in any way, but merely to step up and address "third rails" that so many others shy away from, as such issues occasionally intersect with the world of sports. Yes, I can be blunt at times, to the point of making some people uncomfortable, but it is not my nature to "sugar-coat" things. They are what they are, and I fail to see how discussing them frankly should be off-limits.

Each and every reader of whatever I write is certainly free to keep reading, have their own pro or con comments published at the end of any particular article, or stop reading altogether. My sports blog could be likened to TV and radio in the sense that if you like it -- stay tuned. If not, there's hundreds of other choices to choose from, so one need only change the channel, or type, point, and click to check out something else if they so desire. In the meantime, I shall stumble on trying to do the best I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment