Monday, September 18, 2017

Detroit Lions and my ex-wife

I wouldn't have found out until a bit later, while laying in bed watching the late night version of Sportscenter on ESPN, but evidently the Detroit Lions won the Monday night game over the NY Giants.

How do I know this? Because while catching up on AOL news (and playing a few games of Free Cell) a message came in. So I clicked on it.

The way the powers that be set up this blog (stuff way over my kindergarten computer head), any comment on a post, new or old, is immediately relayed to yours truly as an email. It's a pretty cool feature.

This particular message happened to come from a reader named Mach. I have no idea who Mach is, not even whether it's a man or a woman. But he/she is an occasional commenter (nemesis? LOL) and evidently a Detroit Lions fan.

Nothing wrong with that. I used to be as well. But after faithfully rooting for them for decades, not to mention going to countless games and spending a boat load of money, I'd finally had enough of their losing ways. So when Barry Sanders took a hike almost 20 years ago -- so did I.

Yes, I was there in the Silverdome when the Lions trashed the Dallas Cowboys 38-6 for their only playoff win in the Super Bowl era. I've never heard anything so loud in my life.

Thing is, I don't regret it one bit. I honestly don't know how much money I haven't spent on them in the last couple decades, but it's a lot. Also, I totally gave up rooting for them.

Yet there was Mach's message, I think trying to rub in the fact that the Lions had prevailed. He/she was doing some big time cyber-cheering.

And that's fine. To each their own.

But the truth of the matter is I really don't care about the Lions any more. Haven't for a long time.

There have been many people over the years, including my boss, sometimes known as an editor, that keep telling me I'm going to regret it when the Lions finally win a Super Bowl, because I jumped off the bandwagon.

They are wrong, if indeed that were to happen, which I still highly doubt.

To me, it would be like my ex-wife getting remarried. Sure, if it had happened just a few months, or maybe even a year or two after we split, it might have generated some form of sorrow on my part. Maybe. I honestly don't know, because it didn't happen -- at least to my knowledge.

But after a few years, let alone the ten or eleven, whatever, its now been, all such potential feelings get completely nulled out. Like the Lions, I don't like her or dislike her. They're both just out there somewhere.

What they do is absolutely no concern of mine. Over is over. Finito.

So for all Lions fans, including that pesky Mach, by all means do whatever yanks your proverbial crank. Keep rooting for them, if you wish. That's fine too. I was in that boat once myself and had a lot of good times doing so. But over the years I just couldn't take the annual frustration any more. So I walked, as mentioned above.

Were the Lions to actually win the Super Bowl, I have little doubt the city of Detroit would celebrate like it never has before. The Lions claiming the Vince Lombardi trophy would generate excitement and partying that would dwarf those seen when the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings won championships.

And maybe they will some day, perhaps even this year, though I'll believe it when I hear about it, because I don't watch them any more nowadays any more than I keep tabs on my ex.

I would wish those that "hung in there" nothing but joy.

Personally, it would be just another day to me. No biggy.

Because once and for all -- again -- I......just..... don't...... care. I did my time as a faithful soldier and then decided to move on to other things. And hey, besides the money, what's two decades of NOT being frustrated worth?

Again, no regrets whatsoever, and that won't change if the Lions do the seemingly impossible.

Do you hear me Mach/boss/world?

Oh, and thanks for the idea Mach. I was kind of stumped what to write about tonight. That worked out just fine. LOL








6 comments:

  1. To each his/her own. If you're apathetic about the Lions, more power to you John. I heard you loud and clear.

    You can't spell OdeLL without two Ls.

    -Mach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but you can't spell loser without one either. LOL

      Delete
  2. By the way, I'm still being cautiously optimistic. If the Lions win decisively next week against the Falcons, I'm all in.

    -Mach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Ryan and Co. should be quite the test. They've looked really good so far -- no Super Bowl hangover apparent. But careful about that all in stuff. We both know the more spiked Kool-Aid you drink, the harder the crash when it inevitably comes. Just saying..... LOL

      Delete
    2. I'm used to it. I've been taking Ls on the chin since 1991.

      -Mach

      Delete
    3. I feel your pain. No, check that. I USED to. LOL Hey, I escaped the horrors of the Millen years. Never been to Ford Field either. Probably never will. Hear it's pretty decent. Cest la vie.

      Delete