Thursday, March 10, 2011

An NFL owner finally comes clean

I spent over 30 years at GM as a card carrying member of the UAW. That makes me a union guy. Uninformed people can say what they want about unions, and what they've stood for over the years, but only an idiot would claim that wages, benefits, and working conditions to this day, even in non-union places of employment, would be better had the unions never existed. It was only the possibility of unionization amongst their work forces that got non-union shops to start treating their people decently. Pensions wouldn't exist. No vacations. Illness/injury/maternity leaves? Tough. Go look for another job when you're able to return to work because somebody else would have already taken your place.
That said, I'm going to pretend I'm an owner of an NFL team in the ongoing NFL - NFLPA negotiations.
I'm very rich. I didn't get to be a billionaire because I was stupid in the business world. The inheritance didn't hurt, but I could have done the same thing myself, honest.
That pesky players' union is threatening to decertify (again) when the collective bargaining agreement expires, which might be any day. Then they'll go crazy with law suits and it appears they have a friendly federal court judge in Minneapolis that will hear all the cases. He's already trying to take away my free TV money, party-pooper, which I think is around $125 million bucks. That's gross. (A little inside billionaire humor there, heh-heh.) Taxes? You're kidding, right? Besides, I have Samantha in accounting looking after that. She tells me it's in the "bag". Not bad to look at either. If I was a little younger... but I digress.
What's the smartest thing for me to do? Nothing. I'm not going to lock my players out. If they want to come to my stadium to practice, they're welcome to do so. Door's open. They can watch film and lift weights to their hearts' content. I'll even throw in a locker room attendant to clean up after them every day. And what's a little hot water and ice anyway?
If commissioner Roger Goodell and the league make me lock out the players, then they can take the heat. I tried to be nice about it, so don't blame me when the likes of icons such as Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees take the witness stand and try to make me out as some sort of greedy monster.
I'm a nice guy. Now it's back to business. I think I was in charge of selling something, but sometimes I can't remember what. Maybe I need to talk to Sam again.
If you think I'm dumb, consider that krafty guy in New England. He bought the wrong team. Even I know where the true cheese-lovers are, and it isn't Foxborough. Try Green Bay. They even wear it on their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment