Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Super Bowl. Too much hype

Are you sick and tired yet of all the endless blather on TV about the Super Bowl and just wish they'd get on with it already? Me too.

I, for one, couldn't care less about what Ma and Pa Harbaugh think about the upcoming contest between their two sons. Give them both a couple tall glasses of Geritol, reruns of I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners to watch, and a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle to keep them otherwise occupied, and they'll be just fine. Out of sight, out of mind. Just get them off the air.

And I don't care about Ray Lewis' former alleged complicity in a double murder either. That's 12 year old news, and nobody got convicted of anything anyway. It hasn't been important since it happened, so why is it a big deal now?

Because the Super Bowl is coming up, the head coaches and players have to dedicate a day to press conferences. This is called media day. Hell, every day is media day. Who's kidding who? It's like when I used to ask my mom on mother's day how come there isn't a kids day? She used to say every day is kids day. In hindsight, she had a point. She had to tolerate my sorry butt every day just like athletes have to tolerate the media. Same thing. (I swear if I hear Stuart Scott say "boo-ya" one more time, I'm going to hunt that dude down and -- no better yet -- I'll turn my ex loose on him. Two can play the game of slow torture. Bwahaha)

And who came up with the absolutely dumb idea of putting an extra week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl? The only thing that seems to accomplish is giving the talking heads more time to dissect worthless trivia -- and maybe a few of the players themselves going on TV to talk about stuff nobody cares about anyway. I could give a rat's ass about how much love there is in the Baltimore locker room, or what former 49er starting QB Alex Smith has to say about the game. I don't want to hear about some male bonding lovefest or listen to some dude making $5 million that's not even going to play in the game. Nor do I care about Randy Moss proclaiming himself to be the best receiver of all time. He was great back in his prime, but that's long gone and he's probably not going to play much either. So what's HE doing on TV flapping his gums?

It gives them extra time to practice and prepare, you say? Not really. If you look at their schedules and all the other obligations that go along with the lead up to the Super Bowl, both teams might get one or two more practices. That's about it. Besides, while the players are busy putting their mugs on TV trying to blow their own horns, or twittering away to give the media and brain-dead fans more worthless fodder to ramble on about, they're not concentrating on the task at hand. Perhaps that's why the Super Bowl is so anti-climactic on many occasions. Give them an extra week off and they lose a bit of the fire in their bellies that was raging just a week before. Why not just schedule the Super Bowl for the next Sunday after the conference championships when both teams would be in "rhythm"?  It's just another road game. A big one that counts a lot, to be sure, but just another game.

They say it's going to cost about $4 million dollars for a 30 second ad spot in this year's Super Bowl. That's one helluvan hourly wage in my book. Evidently, it must be worth it because companies have been slugging it out for a chance to strut their wares in the big game. Personally, I don't understand that. I'm not going to run out and buy a car or a truck just because it was advertised during the Super Bowl. Nor will I change the brand of beer I drink, my insurance company, or anything else.

It's all just a waste of time and money, as far as I'm concerned. I just want to see the game -- dammit. Is that asking too much?

Can we please just get on with it?

















No comments:

Post a Comment