Sunday, October 7, 2018

Around the NFL

It happens every year. Just when your truly thinks he has a bit of a handle on who's who in the NFL -- I don't. Not a clue.

Of course I'm not alone in that regard. Sports Illustrated's pre-season pick to win this year's Super Bowl was Atlanta. The Falcons are currently 1-4 and can't seem to get out of their own way.

The usually pretty good Pittsburgh Steelers haven't impressed anybody. Nor have the always good New England Patriots. They lost to the Detroit Lions for crying out loud.

The almost dynasty that never was called the Seattle Seahawks seems to have imploded. They're average, at best.

The Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers, typically contenders for the NFC North division title, have been floundering. What's that? The Chicago Bears -- DUH BEARS!! --  are leading the division? Get outta here.

The reigning Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles appear to be suffering from a hangover. They're OK, but nothing great -- at least so far. But nobody saw them coming last year either.

Yet there are a couple pleasant semi-surprises as well. The KC Chiefs are rolling along rather nicely -- at 5-0 -- with young phenom Patrick Mahomes at quarterback. Dude's been highly impressive.

As have the LA Rams. It's gotta hurt the football fans in St. Louis to see their former team get so good, so fast, after they left town.

The Cleveland Browns have even won a game, and tied yet another. Will miracles never cease? Don't be surprised if their front office -- in its infinite wisdom -- tacks a few more years and a bazillion dollars onto head coach Hue Jackson's contract. Hey, if they didn't see reason to fire him after his team won one measly game in two entire seasons, the fact he's got a win and a tie this year might make him the toast of the town. Alas, poor Cleveland. They knoweth not. Even more clueless than me.

As a former Detroit Lions fan, I peek in on them once in a while. True to form, they've defeated a couple teams they probably shouldn't have (see the above NE Pats, and the Cheesers from Green Bay), but went down in flames to the gawd-awful NY Jets and San Fran 49ers. They must drive the bookies crazy.

So I couldn't help but notice the three letters on the sleeves on their uniforms. WCF. Huh. What could those stand for?

We Can't Finish?

Wacky Clown Festival?

Then it dawned on my feeble brain. It was a salute to their former owner and recently deceased William Clay Ford.

Good thing old Willie's middle name wasn't Thomas, though WTF would fit them to a tee. I'd spell it out, but I suspect you know what it typically stands for in today's jargon. There's that and. if I did, my boss wouldn't be amused. Great guy, but he's made it quite clear there are some words totally off-limits. I haven't been hauled down to headquarters and had my pee-pee whacked (can I say pee-pee? -- guess I'll find out) in quite some time. And I'd just as soon keep it that way, thank you very much.

How will it all turn out and who will wind up in the Super Bowl?

Are you kidding?

If I knew that, I'd be a mighty rich schmuck come February instead of just an average one.

Besides, it would take all the fun out of watching the spectacle for the next few months.

And no doubt a few more dumb ideas for blog posts along the way as well.

We Cater (to) Fools?




No comments:

Post a Comment