Saturday, August 19, 2017

Know what I hate?

First and foremost -- liver. I don't care how you fix it, it's still nasty, vile stuff. And who wants to eat what's basically the oil filter of an animal?

Other than that, I can't really say I truly hate anything or anybody -- just have preferences -- sometimes strong ones.

I don't hate my ex, even though it was she that cheated, not me, then proceeded to try and rob me blind in divorce court. Can't say I like her much any more though.

Nor do I hate various factions spewing their own hate. Left/right, lib/con, Dem/Rep, protesters/counter protesters, etc., etc. They are entitled to their opinions -- both ways. It is when one tries to impose their will and beliefs on the other that problems happen.

Which brings me to sports.

Sure, I root for some teams, but I don't hate their opponents. What's the point in that? The other guys/gals are just trying to do their jobs for somebody else.

Though I've been accused of it in the past, I never hated Tiger Woods. It's just that, even during his hey-day, I smelled something fishy about this guy, which would later be borne out. So no, I never cared for him much but, like any golf fan, yours truly was certainly entitled to root for or against him. I chose against.

In the NFL, I always thought Peyton Manning was over-rated, but I didn't hate him. I've long respected Tom Brady, didn't much care for Michael Vick, am fond of the Packers -- but not the Cowboys, loved the Raider Nation attitude and characters, and pretty much frowned on all things New York. Gimme John Elway any day. Keep Dan Marino. Gimme Barry Sanders over Emmett Smith. I wish thoughtful, objective people like your typical offensive lineman would speak up more, while loud mouth rabble rousers like your typical defensive back would put a sock in it.

Always liked the Celtics. Never cared for the Lakers. I'll always think more of Bird than Magic.

Back in the NASCAR day, I rooted for Awesome Bill Elliott and then Jeff Gordon. Thought Dale Earnhart Sr. was little more than a bully on the track. On that note, the very wreck that killed him at Daytona, ostensibly caused by Sterling Marlin, was a move Dale himself had pulled on countless others over the years, sending them into the wall. What's good for the goose --- but this one ended tragically.

Currently, I admire the class and success of Jimmy Johnson, a Chevy driver. Yet turn up my nose at Kyle Busch, who seems to think he owns the track and everybody should get out of his way.

While on that note, what gives with KB running "junior" league races all the time? Wouldn't that be a bit like a Major League slugger playing in a minor league game on a day off to belt out a few home runs against inferior pitching? You don't see the likes of Jimmy Johnson doing that. Busch league stuff indeed.

And BTW, dear Kyle and his fellow stable of Toyota drivers should be an affront to American race fans. Hey, the "N" in NASCAR stands for "National", as in American. If they want to run Japanese cars and motors, let them go to the land of the rising sun and create their own racing league. Good riddance.

Still can't figure out how Roger Penske, a Chevy man for decades, flip-flopped into running Ford gear in NASCAR. What's up with that? Loved ya, Rog, but boo/hiss on that move. You forgot where you came from.

Always been a fan of the Maple Leafs, but rooted against the Canadiens.

Think the NFL is tough? Australian rules football is for REAL men.

Now that the above-mentioned Eldrick Tont Woods appears to be finally kaput, I love the competition among so many outstanding golfers on the tour these days. Dustin, Jordan, Rory, Jason, Bubba, and that bunch.

Still root for the oldsters like Phil and Davis III on the rare occasions they get into contention in any given tournament.

Idle thought: The PGA has a senior circuit, called the "champions". Good for them. Those guys can probably still beat anybody on your block. But I'm pretty sure we don't want to see the same sort of 50 and over thing when it comes to mixed martial artists in the octagon or, heaven forbid, a Major League Baseball geezer league. That probably wouldn't play so well, and neither would the participants. Only in golf can they get away with this.

Well OK, there might be one other thing I hate. Long an Indy 500 fan/groupie for decades, having gone to several races in the past, I'm appalled that those very same nice people from Japan, who have flooded the American market with their various automobiles and decimated the electronics industry, have now invaded my beloved Indy with Honda motors in so many cars.

But other than that, I can fairly state that hate has nothing to do with it.

Just a matter of preferences and opinions.

So go do what ya gotta do and hate away at this or that if you must, from politics to exes, to everything in sports. This is your right.

Just don't try and feed me liver.

That will cause a problem....

Huh, come to think of it, I don't hate all things Notre Dame either, but it's getting close.

Good grief, the real Notre Dame is a cathedral in Paris and they call themselves the Fighting Irish in South Bend, Indiana? Really? Then again, the Fighting French wouldn't exactly have the same ring to it.











No comments:

Post a Comment