Thursday, August 17, 2017

The national anthem sit-down war

Pretty much all football fans are aware of the argument that continues to rage over whether players are right or wrong if they choose to not stand during the playing of the national anthem. Colin Kaepernick, formerly of the San Fran 49ers, and currently unemployed at last look, was the first. Others have since joined in.

Because there's no law against it, refusing to honor the anthem is a matter of choice. Sort of. But there's a way of looking at this that hasn't yet been mentioned.

If I'm the head coach of an NFL team -- or college for that matter -- I gather my players in the locker room and tell them the following......

Alright guys, listen up. I understand we live in America and the Constitution gives us many rights. We are much more fortunate in that respect than many other countries around the world.

I also understand our society is far from perfect. A lot of people, probably several in this room, have beefs about one thing or another. I'm not here to take sides on that because I don't live in your skin.

I am here to bring this team together to be the best it can be. Though a lot of you make more money than I do, I'm still your boss. A wacky system, I know, but you guys report to me -- not the other way around.

For the purposes of this argument, let's consider this football team a company, like so many others in this country. They come in all different shapes and sizes and peddle various wares, but their main goal is to be successful.

Personally, I couldn't care less what you do before or after work. That's your time and none of my business. Unless you run afoul of the law, or do something deemed unethical under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, you can have at whatever floats your boat. Not a problem.

However, besides the law, many companies have their own in-house "shop rules". Whether it's a factory, department store, fast food joint, construction outfit -- you name it -- when you hire in you agree to abide by those shop rules while on the job. Break one of those and chances are you'll be disciplined in one way or another. Maybe a pay cut, demotion, time off, or even fired.

Most, but not all, of those companies don't try to pry into your personal lives either, or tell you what you can and cannot believe in. They could run into big legal trouble by doing so.

So here's the deal. What you do during the off-season, or even during the season when you're not at one team function or another is, again, none of my business.

However, as you know, the national anthem is typically only played before games we participate in. Not at practice, film study, in the weight room, etc., etc.

And it doesn't get more ON THE JOB for you guys than being in a stadium full of fans, at home or on the road, just before the most important thing we do happens -- playing a game. All our livelihoods depend on succeeding more than failing.

So consider this a shop rule. You're going to put your personal gripes aside for a couple minutes and stand for the anthem.

When the game is over go out there and protest all you want. But not AT the game/on the job. Most other companies would not tolerate this of their employees while they're on the clock, and neither will I.

What I personally believe in is irrelevant. But I do know we all work under the umbrella of the NFL or NCAA, and those parent companies are patriotic in a large way.

That's why you see those giant flags on the field, color guards, and the fly-overs by fighter jets all the time.

Whether it's right or wrong to do such things at athletic events is not my call to make. I just work here, like you guys.

But I won't tolerate anything that distracts from team unity or causes a media circus, which sitting out the anthem clearly brings about.

Again, this is America, and you're free to do a whole lot of stuff. Including chumping the anthem.

But as the head coach, I'm also free to cut you. Which I will do immediately if you do that.

You would then be free to seek employment with all the others teams in the league.

Maybe somebody would pick you up, and I'd wish you well in all your future endeavors.

But it ain't happening HERE.

And last time I looked, that hasn't worked out so well for Colin Kaepernick either.

Any questions?




No comments:

Post a Comment