Tuesday, June 5, 2018

All hail Florida State. National champs

I've been all over Florida through the years. Lakeland (spring training home of the Detroit Tigers), a little berg off I-Ten called Lake City, where a friend lives, to Jacksonville, Daytona (for both Bike Week and the 500), the obligatory trips to Disney outside of Orlando, my late mom used to live in Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs has the greyhound track, Naples is a high-rent district, a buddy of mine has a place in Jensen Beach, Lauderdale, West Palm, Miami, deep sea fishing off Clearwater (caught nothing and got sea-sick -- yuck), Tampa/St.Pete, the glass bottom boats in Silver Springs, on down US One to Key West a few times, up through orange country in the middle of the state, and probably a few others that escape me at present.

But I've never been through the "panhandle". Hence, places like Panama City and Tallahassee are unknown to yours truly. Maybe someday.

Turns out, the ladies collegiate fast-pitch softball national champions of 2018 are the Florida State Seminoles. Chop, chop. And congrats to them on a job well done.

Who would have thought FSU, merely a #6 seed, would wind up facing off with Washington, a #5, for all the marbles? So much for seeds.

But you have to give it up to the 'Noles,. In the double knock-out format, they lost their very first game of the tournament. That became a very tough road. I've played in enough (slo-pitch) softball tournaments myself to know slogging through the "loser's bracket" is no easy chore. You have to play more games, while those in the winner's bracket get byes.

On the other hand, the Lady Huskies had knocked off the two-time defending champion Oklahoma Soonerettes, and #1 ranked Oregon. Impressive stuff.

But this was FSU's year to shine. They dispatched the pesky Huskies two straight in the best of three series, and convincingly at that.

Maybe I should put Tallahassee on my bucket list of places to see.

Then again, why would I spend all that time and money going to a place that, near as I can tell, is home to all the state politicians, and offers little else other than an occasional hurricane blowing through?

After due consideration, I think I'll pass on that.

Nonetheless, hats off to the Nolettes. 2018 national softball champs.

It's at least something.





No comments:

Post a Comment