Monday, June 11, 2018

Lebron and the broken hand gambit

So Lebron James now claims to have suffered a broken hand after Game One of the Finals -- eh?

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Yours truly suffered a broken right hand many years ago, so I know what it feels like. Basically, it hurts like hell. My particular break was the bone from the wrist to the pinkie finger, and I'm no doctor, but even I could see the break on the X-rays.

So off to the bone doctor, a lady in this case, to get it set and casted. Here's a tip. If you're ever in that situation and they offer to give you a numbing shot before setting the bone -- take it. I passed on it just to get it over with. And if it hadn't been for the beefy guy holding me down on the table, I would have jumped off it when the doc got the bone lined up. Yes, it's...just...that... painful. Only for a few agonizing seconds and the pain then quickly subsides.

So OK, six weeks of wearing a cast with only the tips of my thumb and fingers protruding. How tough can it be -- right? Turned out, plenty.

Here's something you can try at home. Attempt to wipe your backside with your "other" hand when you're ready to get off the toilet and see how well that works. Or try to sign your name. It'll look like kindergarten doodling. Or try buttoning a shirt or blouse with one hand. Or fastening a belt. These are things that take a while to semi-master.

Here's another little test you can self-administer.  I was instructed to keep the cast dry. So stand in the shower with your right arm (hand) held over your head and try to wash your left armpit. Or shave your face (or legs) with your off hand. A lot of things get complicated in a hurry when you take one hand away, especially the dominant one.

Yet Lebron was able to play three more games with a broken hand?

He didn't appear to have any trouble dribbling, shooting, rebounding, slam-dunking, giving high fives, even doing push-ups. Good grief, he averaged almost 40 points and 10 rebounds a game.

I'm telling you from first hand, excuse the unintended pun, experience, you do not, repeat NOT do any of those things if you have a broken bone in your hand.

Just getting through the everyday minor tasks of life is difficult enough. See above.

And I wonder what the chances are that he would have came up with this story had he and the Cavaliers won the series instead of getting broomed?

So no. I'm not buying a word of it.

No way.


No comments:

Post a Comment