Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Discovering the Orange Bowl.

While watching the Discover Orange Bowl, yours truly also discovered a few things.

I discovered #23 West Virginia was a hell of a lot better than #15 Clemson.

Unlike so many of the other bowl games, I discovered even a blow-out was more fun to watch than waiting 3 or 4 hours for field goal kickers to decide it in the end.

But I also discovered something I'd never seen before. Clemson was signalling in offensive plays by holding up a picture of somebody?  No wonder they lost.

I saw First Lady Michelle Obama's pic held up. What was that supposed to mean? Eat healthier? When you're behind by 43 points in the 3rd quarter, it would seem a little late for that strategy.

Not sure, but I thought I saw Michelle Bachmann's pic held up once as well. Could that have meant just give it up, because you're too far behind already? Beats me.

It leaves one to wonder, though, about what other pix could have been used to signal in other plays....

Kim Kardashian's might have meant be careful because we're due for a turnover.

Tim Tebow? Take a knee.

No doubt a mail carrier in uniform would have signalled in a post route.

Jerry Sandusky? The blitz is coming.

The late ex-Prez Gerald Ford might have meant something about not fumbling.

The late Norman Rockwell? A draw play, of course.

A traffic light? Stop and go pattern.

James Carville? Power sweep left.

Mary Matalin, his wife? Power sweep right. (If you ever figure out THAT team chemistry, let me know, because I don't have a clue.)

A reverse? Pick a politician, ANY politician, when their approval rating is falling, and hold their pic up. Double reverse? If they just got re-elected.

A picture of the Pope would probably mean a Hail Mary.

Betsy Ross would only be displayed against a zone defense. A seam route.

"Uncle Sam" would likely tell the quarterback to stay in the pocket.

If they want him to scramble to avoid being pancaked, maybe a pic of an IHOP would be in order.

A pic of a butcher might tell the offensive linemen it's OK to chop block on the next play.

Tilt any of those pictures slightly to one side, and you have -- a slant pattern.

The possibilities are endless. Lay a few on me if you have better ones.

From what I saw, West Virginia was beating the orange right out of Clemson. Somehow that reminded me of Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner, but I'm not exactly sure why......

At any rate, I finally discovered something else.

I discovered this was probably a dumb idea to write about in the first place.

So now I'm going to bed, where I will discover my two yorkies already sleeping underneath the covers somewhere.

I'll just slowly ease in there and try to find a place, while not disturbing them, or else I'll discover once again who's really in charge around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment