Monday, January 9, 2012

LSU vs Bama. One word. Boring

LSU and Alabama may or may not be the best two collegiate football teams in the country -- we'll never know because if any year ever screamed out for some sort of playoff system, it was this one -- but there's one thing I know about them for sure.

They're no fun to watch when playing against each other. I watched the first game they played, that LSU won 9-6. Some made field goals, some missed field goals, and nary a touchdown in sight. Boring.

This time I made it half way through the second quarter before reaching for the remote. Still not a touchdown. Click.

I can appreciate great defenses, but only to a point. There comes a time when the average football fan, such as yours truly, wants to see a touchdown here or there. (I heard later on that Bama actually scored one in "garbage time", glory hallelujah, but I was long gone.)

How bored was I? You've heard the comparisons about watching grass grow or paint dry. Maybe you've even watched a European soccer game. All that can be fairly boring.

I'm talking about begging my neighbor to bring over his 8 mm home movies, all couple hundred reels of them, firing up his Bell and Howell, popping up a few jars of Orville Redenbacher's finest, and watching his kids tear up everything they could get their hands on, for an all-nighter of good old fashioned family entertainment, while I give my dogs a hair cut -- one hair at a time. That's REALLY being bored.

But I'd have rather done that than watch those two teams play anymore.

Say or think what you will, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that teams such as Stanford, Okla St., Oregon, Boise State, and other schools considered offensive "juggernauts", couldn't have scored touchdowns against either LSU or Bama. And it would have been a lot more fun to watch.

Nevertheless, congrats to that lovable carpetbagger Nick Sabin and Alabama. They're the champs, and may they enjoy the parade in Tuscaloosa in a couple days.

I've been to oceans lots of times. You know what the only thing more boring than grass growing, paint drying, and your neighbor's home movies is?

Crimson or not, watching the tide go in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment