Saturday, January 31, 2015

Richard Sherman's next contract

This week's edition of Sports Illustrated featured an article written by Seattle Seahawks' cornerback Richard Sherman. In it, he spoke of a lot of things, but the first paragraph was an attention getter.

Addressing his up-coming contract situation, Sherman said Seattle GM John Schneider had posed an interesting question to him. "Who are you going to be when you get paid?"

To which Sherman replied, "I'm not playing football for the money....... I'll be the guy who has $50 million in the bank but plays like he has $5". Besides philosophizing on other matters, #25 made sure to mention several of his backfield teammates. There was the Lion, The Chill Guy, The Example, and even a dog. Taken out of context, this could sound like a side-show that P.T. Barnum would have been proud of.

Sherman failed to mention how the rest of his interview with Schneider went, so here's a make believe version that might have been appropriate.

Schneider. "OK then. I'll take you at your word about the money not being important".

Sherman. "Ummm...."

"As the GM, it's my job to keep track of player stats, and yours seem to have fallen off lately".

"Pardon me?"

"You only had 8 passes defended and 4 interceptions this year. In 2013 you had 16 and 8. The year before 24 and 8. It is what it is. Here's the stat sheet if you want to look at it".

"Yeah, but that's not fair. I'm the best cornerback in the league. Everybody except Darrelle Revis will tell you so. The reason my stats are down is because the other quarterbacks are afraid to throw in my direction".

"I'm not allowed to talk to opposing QBs to get their opinions on such things, but even assuming you're right, the fact remains your defensive teammates are making most of the plays while you're on cruise control".

"Something is seriously wrong with..."

"Hold up. You just told me it's not about the money, but in the same breath mentioned $50 million dollars. I'm not exactly sure what to make of that, but perhaps we can find some mutual ground".

"Such as?"

"If you'll play as hard as you said you would, then I'm prepared to offer you an incentive-laden contract. What could be fairer that that?"

"I don't think I like where this is going".

"Just listen, Richard. You're about to be a free agent, with or without another Super Bowl ring, depending on whether the Brady Bunch kicks your ass or the other way around. But I'm still the GM."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Remember what happened to Golden Tate after last year when he wouldn't listen to reason? He wound up with the Detroit Lions".

"OK, you have my attention".

"So here's the deal. I'll guarantee you the minimum salary, which will be around $500,000 next year".

"Hey, that's chump change".

"Hush. In your years here I see where you've been in on about 100 tackles a year. We'll pay you an additional $10,000 for every tackle the stat people credit you with being in on. Keep up the production and that's another million bucks right there".

"I'm not sure...."

"Hear me out. I'll throw in another $100,000 for every pass you break up and $250,000 for every interception. If you get your numbers back up, that could be another 2 or 3 million".

"But how can I do that if they don't throw my way?"

"We've been over that Richard. You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out. Further, I'll toss in another million if we get back to the Super Bowl any year you remain under contract to us in the future. If things work out, you could easily be making $5 million a year or more".

"I was thinking of a little more than that".

"Stop it. Did you take any math classes while you were at Stanford?"

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"If you had, you would realize that while a potential $5 million a year is only one tenth of the ridiculous $50 million figure you (LOL) mentioned, it is also one million times more than the five bucks you also mentioned in the same breath. And need I remind you millions of SI subscribers just read your own article where you said the money wasn't important?"

"I'll have to think about this".

"Please do so, but you might want to be quick about it. After the Super Bowl, the phones will start ringing around the league. It's always a hectic time of year for players, agents, and GMs trying to sort things out. And hey, given the fact you've been a west coast guy all your life, maybe a change of scenery would do you good. I hear the Lions are hard up for cornerbacks these days. You could reunite with your old buddy Golden and Detroit's such a lovely city".

"Whoa. I'm beginning to see the light".

"Thought you might and one more thing".

"What's that?"

"Get a haircut. Out of your entire 10 man group photo in SI, you're the only one with girly locks. Good grief Richard, if you want to say you've matured, then start looking like it".

"Damn, I knew it was a business, but this is rougher than I thought......"

No comments:

Post a Comment