Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Boston Celtics. A mind-boggling stat

Yes, I've been following the NBA playoffs, as would be expected of any true sports junkie/couch tater.

But I'll admit I didn't pay particularly close attention to the most recent game between the Boston Celtics and the Cleveland Cavaliers. Something about flipping back and forth from that to Stanley Cup action, tending to a sick doggie, and my girlfriend going off on me for some perceived slight, that I still don't understand. Multi-tasking obviously isn't one of my strong points.

So I didn't notice it at the time, other than the Celtics appeared to be playing somewhat sloppily.

Until I saw the stat the following day. The Celtics had missed fifteen -- count em -- FIFTEEN dunks and lay-ups during the game?

Wait a second. This is a professional basketball team, arguably one of the best teams in the world. And they missed 15 dunks and lay-ups -- in a single game? Unbelievable.

Such shots are supposed to be "no-brainers", especially at that level.

It would be the equivalent of a world class golfer missing 15 six-inch putts during a single round. A Major League Baseball team dropping 15 routine pop-ups and/or fly balls during a single game. An NHL goalie facing 15 shots and, yep, giving up 15 goals. An NFL place kicker missing 15 extra point attempts in a row.

This...

is...

not...

supposed...

to...

happen.

And even my feeble brain can do the math when it comes to blowing 15 dunks and lay-ups during the course of a basketball game. That's 30 easy points they didn't get.

The Celtics would lose that game by only 9 points.

If they'd made even HALF of the gimmes, that's another 14-16 points and they win.

Sure, you're gonna miss an easy one once in a while, be it a tap-in putt or botching a pop-up, extra point, easy save, etc., but FIFTEEN -- in ONE GAME?

It's got to be just about enough to drive a head coach (Brad Stevens) crazy.

Ah well. Sometimes weird stuff just happens, I guess. Not all of it good.

On the bright side, my little yorkie boy seems to be much better today. He must have got into something bad in the back yard. Squirrel poop, leaves or flowers of a blossoming plant that didn't agree with him -- who knows?

Vegas is in the Stanley Cup Finals. Hurray. I love Vegas. Next to San Fran, my favorite city.

But my significant other is due over again any minute, and I still don't know what she's mad about. Got a feeling I'm going to get more details, though.

Sigh.

Such is life.

But if she tells me I'm a jerk 15 times during the same conversation, we're going to have a problem......








No comments:

Post a Comment