Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday Night Football and Jeopardy

I admit it. I'm a football junkie, especially the NFL variety. For the next few months -- right up until the Super Bowl is over -- I'll be in hog heaven.

It used to be the NFL only played its game on Sundays. Then somewhere along the line the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys ushered in once a year games on Thanksgiving. Also, Monday Night Football came about back in the 70's, I think. Now a weekly Thursday NFL game is routine. Once in a while, even a Saturday night game will pop up.

I don't know who's responsible for expanding play to different days of the week -- but whoever it is -- I have one thing to say to them. I LOVE you, man. A hot date? I'll blow it off if the game is a really good one. Dates come and go like buses. One need not fret too much if they missed out on one. Another will be coming along in due time. But the NFL? That has a way of getting into a man's soul. I fell and broke my arm a few years ago, it quickly turned black and blue, swelled up, and hurt like hell. Obviously, it needed to be reset and casted. But a good game was on. The arm could wait until it was over. Probably not the smartest of decisions, but dammit, I WANTED to see that game.

So yes, it could fairly be said yours truly is a big time NFL fan. For that matter, Monday Night Football was featuring a double-header tonight. The Eagle and the Skins, followed by the Texans/Chargers. It would take somebody or something really special to drag me away from that.

But it happened earlier tonight.

The game show Jeopardy! was not only on, but it was their Tournament of Champions. I've been a fan of Jeopardy! since before I could even spell NFL. The T of C on Jeopardy! is kinda like the NFL playoffs. The cream has risen to the top over a full year, and now it's time for the best to start eliminating each other. In the end, only one can be champion. This came under the heading of the "special" category mentioned above, no pun intended.

So I had to put Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III on hold while tuning into Alex Trebek.

Hey. Everybody has their "red lines". That's certainly been in the news lately. But some of us aren't so wishy-washy about it.

I love the NFL.

But Jeopardy! still rules.

Just for kicks -- the Final Jeopardy category was "Classic Jazz Songs". The answer was --

The title of this instrumental is a synonym for "time out", the album on which it first appeared.

So do you know the question?

I didn't. All 3 contestants did. Guess that's why they're on the T of C and I'm not. Sigh.

On a personal note -- maybe it will Rain later. I'd like that.

Back to the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment