Saturday, September 28, 2013

Good and bad news rants

Some insurance company says they will forgive you if you have an accident. Gee, how nice of them. Personally, I had no idea a trip to a confessional was required if a tornado leveled my house or some lunatic smashed into my car -- but I suppose it's better than eternal damnation. For that matter, perhaps some day I'll find it in my heart to forgive THEM for constantly raising my deductibles -- and premiums -- when I haven't filed a claim in over 20 years. The way I see it, at about $2000 annually, they're into me for over 40 grand. Nevertheless, let's hear it for forgiveness. Break out the rosaries and prayer mats.

While watching the Ohio State/Wisconsin game, a couple things jumped out at me. The guy wearing #1 for OSU, one Bradley Roby, appears to be a multi-talented player. He returns kicks and occasionally gets his number called on an offensive play. But mostly, he's a cat-quick starting cornerback. He can cover receivers like a blanket, except for....

The guy who wears #4 for the Wisconsin Badgers, one Jared Abbrederis. At 6-2 and merely a buck ninety, this white boy's the real deal when it comes to wide receivers. He's really fast, runs precise patterns, has hands of glue, and isn't afraid to "go get it", even if he knows he's going to take a "shot". Roby's a good corner, but Abbrederis beat him like a drum every time they were matched up. Though many have likely never heard of him before, remember the name Jared Abbrederis. As a senior, if he stays healthy, yours truly smells a high first round NFL draft choice next year. He's like a Wes Welker -- only much taller with a longer reach.

A major credit card outfit is also offering forgiveness if you happen to miss a payment for whatever reason. They don't offer a clue about their interest rates but, again, being spared execution is always a good thing. This particular company features a commercial where some lady has finally -- FINALLY -- got connected on the telephone to another real human being to talk about whatever problems she might have.

Eerily, the customer service rep appears to be a clone of the caller. And then they proceed to start gabbing away like a couple old hens on steroids. Cackle, cackle, cackle.

So..... if one had a card from this company, had an issue, tried to call and resolve it, and then found themselves on eternal "hold" because the "operators" were busy -- guess why that might be?

I think I may have discovered why I'll pass on that particular piece of plastic.

The Red Wings' season will start soon, and they're back in the "east" where they've always belonged. How they will fare remains to be seen. Good news and bad news. It's good that the Wings won't have to log so many sky-miles out west anymore. But now they'll have to face the likes of the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, etc., more often. For that matter, it's good that they'll play the Leafs and Canadiens a few more times -- but it's bad because those old-time rivalry games have a way of becoming really physical. Players often get dinged up, or worse, in brutal contests like that.

It won't be long until the Detroit Pistons fire up for another season. This is good and bad as well. It's good that roundball fans in the 'burbs can go watch their team without the arduous trek into Detroit proper. But it has to be bad knowing even before the season starts -- your team has no shot -- none, zilch, nada, fuhgetaboutit chance of contending for a championship.

Gee. I sure miss those commercials with Yogi Berra. I think that was for some insurance company too, though I have no idea which one it was, nor did I care.

But they sure were funny.

Oh, BTW. Forget about the 3 point spread. The Lions will clobber Da Bears today at Ford Field. Good news for Detroit, bad news for Chicago.

The worst news?

If the Lions are 3-1, I suspect I already know what's going to happen. The good, but historically misguided Lions' faithful will break out their Super Bowl drums and start beating them again. The sky's the limit and anything is possible, they will say.

Maybe it is, the game the following week in their age-old house of horrors called Lambeau Field nothwithstanding. Could they actually -- gasp -- win there? After all, the Lions just broke a 21 game losing streak against the Redskins in DC.

Perhaps miracles can come true after all.

But the Lions in the Super Bowl?

I'll believe that when my insurance company cuts my premiums in half and lowers my deductible back to somewhere around Miguel Cabrera's batting average.

Let's just say yours truly isn't holding his breath........









No comments:

Post a Comment